Brand Valley Publications
Brand Valley Publication is the publication arm of Brand Valley Design Ltd (UK) and Brand Valley AS (Norway). Brand Valley Publication has published a series of three booklets (so far). The aim of the booklets is to enable and empower companies within the new economy.
The booklets are all built on research as well as practice, but the tone-of-voice is down to earth and straightforward. They are small, helpful ‘how-to’ booklets that offer an introduction to a theme and the basic tools to take the business one step further. They are all built on a structured creative approach and richly illustrated, as well as pointing to further reading into the field. All of the booklets are collaborative projects that Brand Valley has with partners in academia or other consultancies.
Published: 2016/2017 (2013)
The Little Booklet on Design Thinking: An Introduction
Authors: Monika Hestad, Anders Grønli and Silvia Rigoni
The Little Booklet on Design Thinking: An Introduction is the second iteration of this publication, and is a significantly revised and expanded version of the first edition.
Design thinking is a holistic approach to development, engaging key stakeholders on a journey of continuous improvement and learning. The booklet is filled with a short and concise step-by-step process, which gives a practical training in design thinking as an approach to innovation. It also contains an introduction to the background of design thinking from a theoretical perspective. The booklet shows how design thinking is about embracing a continuous improvement of the company or organisation’s work, while people are the focus. The Little Booklet on Design Thinking is valuable for companies and organisations who seek to work systematically to find solutions and methods that are not obvious.
Hestad, Monika, Grønli, Anders & Rigoni, Silvia (2017). The Little Booklet on Design Thinking: An Introduction. 2nd edition. London: Brand Valley Publications. ISBN: 978-1912220014
Amazon: UK, CA, FR, DE, IN, IT, JP, ES, US
Hestad, Monika, Grønli, Anders & Rigoni, Silvia (2016). Det Lille Heftet om Designtenkning: En Introduksjon. 2nd edition. London: Brand Valley Publications. ISBN: 978-0-9574958-8-3.
Amazon: UK, CA, FR, DE, IN, IT, JP, ES, US
The Little Booklet on Business Design
Authors: Jonas Altman and Monika Hestad
The Little Booklet on Business Design: Curiosity to Strategy gives a short introduction to business design. Business Design provides entrepreneurs with the principles and tools designers use when turning their ideas into reality. Business Design starts with your customers’ needs, and incorporates your vision and learning from your own experiences. The booklet gives the reader the opportunity to map out the business idea through a step-by-step process. Key aspects of designing a business are explored in a fun and engaging process. The process is visually and verbally presented and will be valuable for all curious entrepreneurs.
Altman, Jonas & Hestad, Monika (2013). The Little Booklet on Business Design: Curiosity to Strategy. London: Brand Valley Publications. ISBN: 978-0-9574958-3-8.
Amazon: UK, CA, FR, DE, IN, IT, JP, ES, US
The Little Booklet on Design Thinking: an Introductory Workshop
Authors: Monika Hestad and Silvia Rigoni
The Little Booklet on Design Thinking: An Introductory Workshop gives a short introduction to design thinking. Design thinking has been recognised as a management approach to innovation that is creative and practical. The booklet gives the reader the opportunity to engage with a 'designerly' way of working through a step-by-step process where key stages and principles are addressed. The process is visually and verbally presented and will be valuable for all industries.
Hestad, Monika & Rigoni, Silvia (2013). The Little Booklet on Design Thinking: an Introductory Workshop. London: Brand Valley Publications. ISBN: 978-0-9574958-0-7.
Amazon: UK, CA, CN, FR, DE, IN, IT, JP, ES, US
Forthcoming: Autumn 2018
The Little Booklet on Branding: A New Framework
The Little Booklet on Branding: A New Framework offers a new approach to branding that integrates all activities in the company in building the brand. The booklet is useful both for start-up as well as well-established companies with the desire to turn the company into a brand that its employees as well as customers love. Key aspects of branding are explored through a six-facet framework along with tasks that can help in clarifying their thinking and develop the company into a brand. By exploring the company through these facets, all activities will ultimately be joined-up on building the brand. The brand becomes what the company is and what it does. The booklet is richly illustrated throughout.
Branding and Product design: an integrated perspective
Author: Monika Hestad
Why do winning brands appear to be more creative and authentic than less successful ones? Despite the strong link between famous brands and the products sold under their name, there is still a gap in understanding the relationship between product design and brand-building - Monika Hestad plugs that gap. Branding and Product Design discusses key questions about the link between product and brand and about design processes and innovation. It examines these questions on both macro and micro levels and provides the reader with tools to help understand the role of products in building a brand, and how to bring the brand and the product design process together. These are based on the author's research into branding and product design, her years of teaching these topics, and her own industrial practice. Qualitative interviews delivering an 'insider' perspective on major brands bring abstract concepts to life. The book includes case studies from well-known and up-and-coming brands and will prove invaluable to design practitioners, marketers, managers and other professionals working close to designers. It will also benefit those teaching and studying, particularly if they are involved in the new higher education programmes where business schools and design schools are co-operating to reflect the intersection between design and branding.
Hestad, Monika (2013). Branding and Product Design: An integrated perspective. A Gower book. New York: Routledge. ISBN: 978-1-4094-4626-2.
Paperback on Amazon: UK, CA, CN, FR, DE, IN, IT, JP, ES, US
Amazon Kindle: UK, AU, BR, CA, FR, DE, IN, IT, JP, MX, ES, US
Additive Manufacturing - Design, Methods, and Processes
Editor: Steinar Killi
Authors: Steinar Killi, Monika Hestad, Viktor Hiort af Ornäs, William Lavatelli Kempton, Nina Bjørnstad and Andrew Morrison
Additive manufacturing has matured from rapid prototyping through the now popular and “maker”-oriented 3D printing, recently commercialized and marketed. The terms describing this technology have changed over time, from “rapid prototyping” to “rapid manufacturing” to “additive manufacturing,” which reflects largely a focus on technology.
This book discusses the uptake, use, and impact of the additive manufacturing and digital fabrication technology. It augments technical and business-oriented trends with those in product design and design studies. It includes a mix of disciplinary and transdisciplinary trends and is rich in case and design material. The chapters cover a range of design-centered views on additive manufacturing that are rarely addressed in the main conferences and publications, which are still mostly, and importantly, concerned with tools, technologies, and technical development. The chapters also reflect dialogues about transdisciplinarity and the inclusion of domains such as business and aesthetics, narrative, and technology critique. This is a great textbook for graduate students of design, engineering, computer science, marketing, and technology and also for those who are not students but are curious about and interested in what 3D printing really can be used for in the near future.
Killi, Steinar W. (2017). Additive Manufacturing: Design, Methods, and Processes. CRC Press.
Monika Hestad has written Chapter 6: Potential of Additive-Manufactured Products in Building Brands together with Viktor Hiort af Ornäs
Public client reports
- Hestad, Monika (red). (2016). Sakkyndig vurdering: Il Tempo Gigante, 08.09.2016. Utarbeidet for Caprino Filmcenter AS og fremlagt i Eidsivating lagmannsrett 11.10.2016 i forbindelse med saken «Caprino Filmcenter AS mot Kari og Kjell Aukrusts Stiftelse - Aukruststiftelsen og Hunderfossen Familiepark AS» (LE-2016-1011). Offentliggjort av klient 13.01.2017. Oslo: Brand Valley AS. (In Norwegian) (Dom i saken på Lovdata.)
Key publications written by Brand Valley staff:
- Bjørnstad, Nina & Hestad, Monika. (2015). Time to Explore and Make Sense of Complexity?. In Van de Zande, Robin; Bohemia, Erik; & Digranes, Ingvild; (Eds.), Learn x Design. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference for Design Education Researchers. Chicago, 28-30 June 2015 (pp. 455-468). Aalto, Finland: Aalto University / and Spotswood, NJ, USA: Design Research Society. ISBN: 978-952-60-0069-5.
- Reitsperger, Philip; Hestad, Monika; & O’Reilly, John. (2015). Design Thinking Stretching at the Nexus.. In Van de Zande, Robin; Bohemia, Erik; & Digranes, Ingvild; (Eds.), Learn x Design. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference for Design Education Researchers. Chicago, 28-30 June 2015 (pp. 455-468). Aalto, Finland: Aalto University / and Spotswood, NJ, USA: Design Research Society. ISBN: 978-952-60-0069-5.
- Hestad, Monika; Hiort af Ornäs, Viktor; & Groenli, Anders. (2014). Craft Brewery Brands: Self-awareness through performance. In Bohemia, Erik; Rieple, Alison; Liedtka, Jeanne; and Cooper, Rachel (Eds.), Design Management in an Era of Disruption: Proceedings of the Design Management Institute. 19th DMI: Academic Design Management Conference, London, 2-4 September 2014 (pp. 504-529). Boston, MA: Design Management Institute. ISBN: 978-0-615-99152-8.
- Hestad, Monika & Brassett, Jamie. (2013). Teaching ‘design thinking’ in the context of Innovation Management — from process to a dialogue about principles. In Reitan, Janne Beate; Lloyd, Peter; Bohemia, Erik; Nielsen, Liv Merete; Digranes, Ingvild; & Lutnæs, Eva (Eds.), Design learning for tomorrow. Design education from kindergarten to Phd. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference for Design Education Researchers. Oslo, 14-17 May 2013 (pp. 2032-2047). Oslo: ABM-media AS. ISBN: 978-82-93298-05-2.
- Hestad, Monika. (2009). Changing assumption for the design process: New roles of the active end user. FORMakademisk, 2(2), 16-25. ISSN: 1890-9515.
- Hestad, Monika & Keitsch, Martina M.. (2009). Not always a victim! On seeing users as active consumers. International Journal of Product Development, 9(4), 396-405. doi: 10.1504/IJPD.2009.027473. ISSN: 1477-9056.
- Hestad, Monika. (2008). Approaching different design choices in the process of branding products. Conference paper at the Design Management Institute conference Design Thinking: New Challenges for Designers, Managers and Organizations, Essec Business School, Paris, 14-15 April 2008.
- Hestad, Monika. (2007). Pure shape: To realise intended meaning in practice. In Feijs, Loe; Kyffin, Steven; & Young, Bob (Eds.), DeSForM 2007: Proceedings of the 3rd European Conference on Design and Semantics of Form and Movement, Newcastle upon Tyne, 12-13 December 2007 (pp. 176-186). Newcastle: University of Northumbria. ISBN: 978-0-9549587-1-8.
- Hestad, Monika. (2006). Merkevaremakt eller forbrukarmakt. In Nielsen, Liv Merete & Digranes, Ingvild (Eds.), DesignDialog – Kunnskapsløftet og visuell kompetanse. HiO-rapport 2006, nr. 24 (pp. 48-58). Oslo: Oslo University College. ISBN: 978-82-579-4524-4. (In Norwegian)
- Hestad, Monika. (2005). The designer’s role in building strong brands. In Nielsen, Liv Merete & Digranes, Ingvild (Eds.), DesignDialog – Design og fagdidaktiske utfordringer. HiO-rapport 2005, nr. 33 (pp. 57-62). Oslo: Oslo University College. ISBN: 82-579-4472-6.
- Hestad, Monika. (2008). Den kommersielle formen: Merkevarekonteksten som utfordring for industridesignernes behandling av form. Oslo: Oslo School of Architecture and Design. ISBN: 978-82-547-0217-8 / ISSN: 1502-217x. (In Norwegian)
Other papers and publications
- Hestad, Monika. (2013). Norske merkevarer i utlandet: Hva skal til?. In Landstad, Bergljot (Ed.), Temp – Konjunkturbarometer for Møre og Romsdal 2013: Made in Møre og Romsdal (pp. 12-15). Molde: Møre og Romsdal fylkeskommune. (In Norwegian)
- Ryssdal, Anders C.; Austgulen, Rigmor; Benjaminsen, Arne; Brautaset, Camilla; von der Fehr, Nils-Henrik M.; Grund, Jan; Hestad, Monika; Kvam, Bjarne; Pettersen, Inger Johanne; & Steine, Vidar Oma. (2003). Ny lov om universiteter og høyskoler: Utredning fra et utvalg oppnevnt ved kongelig resolusjon 6. desember 2002 (Official Norwegian Report, NOU 2003:25). Oslo: Royal Norwegian Ministry of Education and Research. ISBN: 82-583-0732-0.